Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58

Thread: Please, Please help me here!

  1. #41
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    It just timed out, so went to network settings, etc., but nothing there. Browsed the BellSouth folder, but nothing there either. did a computer using the name of the router, but no luck. I know it's accessible though, I've seen both my guru and a BellSouth tech access it.

    GM

  2. #42
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeh, I forgot DSL routers have a login protocol, and just don't remember the details. I don't remember mine having a firewall though.

    I'm sure your ISP would love to hear from you anyway. forums

  3. #43
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    gamalot: Need more info. What did you click on just before you get that message?
    ===========================================
    BTW: I am a long-time Mozzila Firefox user but no means an expert, and Mozzila Firefox is not a cure-all for MS I.E. I am using Firefox 1.5.xx.xx, and it has a serious memory leak, ie if you close a window, it won't give the memory back to the system. Firefox will consume all available memory until your system runs super slow. In order to release the memory, you must close down ALL, and I mean ALL, Firefox windows and then Firefox will release the memory. MS I.E. 6.x doesn't have that problem.

  4. #44
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Holy Smokes Batman, I can see again!

    I have no idea what one of the many things I did corrected this BS problem but last night when I shut down I did so out of pure frustration and unable to get to this thread to read what had been posted.
    This morning when I signed on I am now able to get to it so I suspect the computer needed to be re-booted for the changes to take affect.

    What a bunch of JUNK, pure and simple!

    I do very much appreciate all the interest and concern and particularly Bfishes email that apparently got my vision back.

    All this talk of operating systems, java junk and the like are way more computer speak then I ever care to know.
    Is it so much to ask that you turn the darn thing on and it works as it should without the need for a degree in computer technology?
    I did not change anything to cause this to happen, it just did, but only here at this site and at no other site did I have this problem. So who is the culprit and WHY?????
    What sinister benefit did what ever caused this did who ever made it happen get from it?
    I would personally like to see him hung by his toasted almonds!

    Gary

  5. #45
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    gamalot: This is a classic problem since the beginning of time(computer speak for "since when computers were invented"). This is the classic, whenever your computer is behaving strangely, always do a "power down and power up." Computer are extremely complicated pieces of machinary. There are 2 sides to computers the hardware and software operating system. The reason for this is that sometimes bad things happen to the memory because of whatever, and the code in memory gets inadvertently "stepped on(altered)" by a process. In order to fix this problem you have to do a "power down and power up."

  6. #46
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Well, I just turned off my machine, waited a few, then turned it back on, but the pop-ups are still here using I.E. even though 'hostboard.us.intellitxt.com' is in the 'Restricted Sites' library. forums

    GM

  7. #47
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    whenever your computer is behaving strangely, always do a "power down and power up."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">............... and be sure to let it remain in the "powered down" state long enough for all power supply voltage to drain completely, thus ensuring a "clear memory" when booting up.

    If i'm just doing an install or something routine with no issues occurring i wait at least 30 seconds before pushing the power button "on".

    If i'm re-booting in an attempt to remedy an issue, i'll give it a good 5 or 10 minute power off rest.

    Anytime the instruction is given to "restart" i prefer to do a "cold boot" rather than using the windows restart command.

  8. #48
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    BINGO! Many thanks to all! It wouldn't return to the thread automatically, I had to do it manually, but it's a small price to pay for no pop-ups!

  9. #49
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Great GM,

    My bro' told me one time I had the patience and persistence required of Help Desk personell...

    I told him to sit and spin!

    Patiently watching a bobber while persistently keeping a fresh worm on the hook suits me just fine! forums

  10. #50
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    I envy you, I can't sit still long enough to fish, so on the few trips I tried, I usually drank till I passed out. Not good for the health. There was one though, out on the Gulf flats when the sharks kept us really busy. That was a little too exciting to try again though........

    Hmm, interesting! While typing this in IE I got a little yahoo! pop-up several times, though dragging the pointer over what I've typed doesn't trigger it. Strange........

    GM

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.